Waiting

As a little girl, my mom often said, "Patience is a virtue". I kept thinking, "yeah, whatever that means". I suppose now that I am older it holds more truth as I, ironically, still struggle to be patient for God's beautiful plan and promise. The following blogs are my thoughts and trials about life's journey and the emotions of being patient in waiting for the sun to rise...

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 3 of the Advocare Cleanse: Childhood Obesity Flashbacks....

No weight loss from yesterday, but I am far less tired and had so much energy before bed yesterday that I had trouble falling asleep.  I worked out (inside due to heat), went for a walk, had swim class with baby, and did a number of things that would usually tire me out.  Instead, my mind was swimming with the upcoming changes to our lives when I return to work in 2.5 weeks.  Summer is almost over :(

But last night confirmed for me another picture of why we are doing this that relayed to my thoughts yesterday.  Chris and I stopped at Bob Evans last night to eat (me some slow roasted turkey) after swim class.  It was "kids eat free night" so of course the place was hopping with tiny tots.  We sat down at a table and minutes later a family of four with two girls probably 7 and 10 sat down.  The oldest child was overweight.  Wearing oversize clothes and having a chubby face and body she sits down.  The younger sister, a not as heavy mini version of her sister sits behind me.  They were loud little people and so as the waitress is taking their order, I could do nothing but hear what they asked for.  "Can I have the macaroni and cheese with mashed potatoes?" the larger girl asks.  "I want chicken fingers and fries" the little one asks.  And immediately, I think, oh no... "carbs on carbs!!!" 
I vented to Chris... "are we going to let our child order double carbs when we clearly see she is overweight?"  His reply was slow and unsure... "well no, but what about special occasions?".  To which I respond, "Kids Eat Free Night at Bob Evans is not a special occasion".  I get where he is going and sure a birthday party with pizza and cake here and there won't kill her, but what about all those other days.  I had to ignore about 8 servings of carbs and dairy in my meal and edit the order.  There were cheese and croutons on the salad, dinner rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy... A long list of "no, no's on the cleanse".  So, what message are we telling kids about food?  And what control do we have as parents or should we just let them eat what they want?

I think its far more a parent's responsibility than we realize.  Even if Bob Evans didn't have veggies (which they do), we always have the choice to pack healthy items... carrot sticks, celery sticks, grapes, an apple, or even raisins.  But letting an overweight child order the two most unhealthy carbs without even trying to pick a fight is shameful.  Both parents, by the way, were actually skinny.  They didn't order anything overly unhealthy, but they are allowing their children to have their hearts desires instead of what is good for them.  I was that kid.  I could order whatever I wanted and eat whatever I wanted on my plate.  I usually ordered the mac n cheese or something carby just like that.  I was that little 10 year old.  Feeling completely oblivious to why I was chunky, but eating whatever purely out of lack of education about nutrition.  My parents initially felt like they were being nice by letting me order what I wanted, but then in fourth grade,  I remember my mom discussing my weight with the doctor at my annual summer physical.  His reply, "drink more milk, less soda and make sure she is active".  WHAT?  How about water?  What about all those carbs I was eating.  No kid diets.  No lifestyle change.   At that point in time, I was wearing a 7/8 in juniors and no one thought this might be a bad sign?  Well, clearly my mom did, but she didn't feel good about putting a child on Weight Watchers.  And while she had yo-yo dieted for years, the doctor passed my size off as normal.  Did he have any idea what I was eating?  Any idea that despite being in sports I was one of the biggest girls on the team and in my class?
I know the times have changed.  Childhood obesity is a real topic, with real resources.  My mom reached out for help and she only got reassurance that if I was active I would burn it off.  So even now at the age of 28, I am always active... it's just the food that I wrestle with... It's not just about being active... It's so much more.  We left before the family at Bob Evans.  Clean plate club was ruling the day at their table.  The girl, drinking chocolate milk, had cleared her plate.  Another 1,000 calorie kids meal ingested...  And we wonder why there is an obesity pandemic in America.  Make my fried potato circles with smiley faces and pair them with the yummiest of carbs and dairy or fried sticks of chicken covered in breading and no child can resist those foods.  I hope America gets a clue.  My kid will be ordering one of those meals soon.  I don't want to have to hide the menu, lie to her, or be the "meanie parent" who doesn't give in, but I would rather do that than just sit by and let her become fat and unhealthy... (on a side note, I did pull the menu and they had a healthy couple options more balanced, but the sides are choices for kids...  they can eat salad, broccoli, fruit cup or corn, but they can also pick fried potatoes just like adults can).  I just hope I don't cave on this.  I have to learn to say no before it becomes an issue or just teach her to eat more balanced.  However I do it, I hope it leads to a healthier little lady.  

Let the healthy eating and workouts continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment