Waiting

As a little girl, my mom often said, "Patience is a virtue". I kept thinking, "yeah, whatever that means". I suppose now that I am older it holds more truth as I, ironically, still struggle to be patient for God's beautiful plan and promise. The following blogs are my thoughts and trials about life's journey and the emotions of being patient in waiting for the sun to rise...

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Ministry of the Mundane

At my favorite girl's breakfast with fellow social workers and ministry leaders, we were discussing the over-arching sadness of working with children in poverty and abuse situations.  We all agreed there is a sense of sadness, and a sense of powerlessness in trying to make a difference.  We talked about the guilt which comes from leaving those families and parts of town to our comfortable lives in the suburbs.  A new house, nice clothes, a working car, food whenever I am hungry, clean water, soap, heat in the winter and air in the summer, cable tv, access to a computer, etc. etc. are all things most people reading this blog take for granted on a daily basis; however, my clients can be without some, most or all of these things at any given time.  Being at my elementary school the first day, I realized this will probably be the case for me just as much as it was in my other job.  And just as I was returning home, a little depressed about my work and inability to change the world completely, I began to read more from "The Life You've Always Wanted".  John Ortberg discussed in order to have a life of meaning we should be engaging in "the ministry of the mundane".

"Jesus took a little child in his arms and said, in effect, "Here's your ministry.  Give yourselves to those who can bring you no status or clout.  Just help people.  You need this little child.  You need to help this little child, not just for her sake, but more for your sake.  For if you don't your whole life will be thrown away on an idiotic contest to see who is the greatest.  But if you serve her- often and well and cheerfully and out of the limelight- then the day may come when you do it without thinking,  "What a wonderful thing I have done".  Then you will begin serving naturally, effortlessly, for the joy of it.  Then you will being to understand how life in the kingdom works".  This might be called "the ministry of the mundane". 


I am learning far more from my kids than I think they learn from me.  While I teach them to use coping skills, they teach me how God designed us to be loved, to feel safe, and what brokenness does to one's sense of stability in the world.  They teach me compassion, empathy, and passion at levels larger than I've ever known.  And even just from a short time of working with these children, I feel myself loving more deeply.  I have worked with kids raped, molested, beaten starved, and neglected, by the people who are supposed to love and protect them most.  I've worked with kids who have never had anyone look out for them or love on them, but no matter how thick of a wall they put up, deep down they are still looking for love.  They still always seem to reach out...


And then I am reminded of just how lucky I am.  God has given me so much; not so I can be embarrassed or feel guilty, but to challenge me to use my gifts (financial, professional, spiritual, etc) to be a light.  I think the key for me will be learning to not be sucked into despair.  This world is broken, but there is hope in Christ.  God has lifted me from my valley's, and He can for each and everyone of these kids.  I want to be reminded daily of the kingdom.  I want to fight the darkness, not run from it.  I was people in that community to know, I will not just give up or get tired.  I will not be moved by their behaviors.  I will not be afraid.  Although my parents sheltered me from so much of this brokenness so I would have a good life, it's through their provision that I have the strength to continue to love despite most people's fear of these kids.  

I realize like in Matthew 9:37 I am one of the few people who find a sense of passion for this work that comes from God.  And the amazing part is that God continues to reveal to me "the harvest" that will fully be revealed some day.  "Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few."  I wish more people knew what they were missing.  Being with these children is life giving, life changing despite how challenging and energy consuming it can be...

What a very powerful but humble job.... a minister of the mundane...  a minister of light, hope and love.  (I wonder how that would look on my resume)....

No comments:

Post a Comment