Waiting

As a little girl, my mom often said, "Patience is a virtue". I kept thinking, "yeah, whatever that means". I suppose now that I am older it holds more truth as I, ironically, still struggle to be patient for God's beautiful plan and promise. The following blogs are my thoughts and trials about life's journey and the emotions of being patient in waiting for the sun to rise...

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bet You Thought I Quit by Now

5 weeks of clean eating.  I bet you thought I quit by now....  Well, I am going strong.  Lost about 10 pounds which is a little less than I planned but it's slowly coming off.  It's starting to feel like a way of life.  It's easier to cook, easier to grocery shop, and I don't feel like I am missing out.  I feel good about buying the whole foods, but I am overwhelmed by how many people are still eating the way I was and how many people are battling obesity.  Today, I started a new step.  I ran full speed for the first time.  I sprinted down the block about a 100 yards.  All 170 pounds of myself flopping around.  I got to my "goal spot" panting like my husky after a bike run.  My legs are tight and my body is sore but I know it's good to start pushing myself again.

I am moving and going sometimes 3-4 miles at a time now.  It's hard to motivate myself some days.  Most of the bad food has leaked it's way out of the house and it's probably good because sometimes I would eat the "easy to make" foods again on those long and busy days.  But each time we make our own clean food, it feels better. 

I haven't quit on myself and I think that's the best part about all of this.  I don't want to give up and just accept "this is just who I am now".  One of my friends actually looks better since she had her son.  She started running and working out and eating right and she's beautiful.  When I see how much she changed in the year after she had her son, it gives me courage to keep going.  Another one of my old co-workers is a huge inspiration.  She has been eating clean and working out for years and has lost well over 100 pounds.  She looks like a different person, a happier person.  She now has rock solid muscles and a passion to live this way forever.

Tonight I am snacking on blue berries after a meal of a chicken burger and grilled veggies (no bun!!).   I am constantly trying new foods, new spices, and new ways of cooking.  I love packing the fridge with fresh cut produce and making a meal with "a little of this and a little of that".  Real food doesn't take much to make it taste good.  I still feel energized, renewed, and hopeful that having a baby has changed my life for the better in so many ways. 


I haven't quit on my dream for a private practice, a life where I can spend time with my daughter, and a life where I have a happy marriage, close friendships, and an authentic relationship with the Lord.  It's about the balance of holistic life focused on not every being everything to everyone.  I have realized that I have to take care of myself by working on myself rather than just being lazy and neglecting myself.  It's a daily choice, a little easier, but some day I will post my before and after picture and I will bask in all that hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment